Junior Year - Assess and Take Action!
Participate in Career Services events to explore specific paths within your field of interest and to learn about postgraduate study requirements:
- Think Globally, Explore Locally (TGEL) trips.
- Lawrence Scholars sessions and midterm reading period trips.
- The Career Conference.
- Guest Drop-in Hours with alumni.
- Shadow/Network events.
- Info Tables and Info Sessions.
Graduate School Planning:
- Attend Internship and Job Fairs.
- Research and explore graduate and professional programs.
- Initiate a dialogue with your advisor and other faculty members about post-graduate options.
- Learn the requirements for post-graduate programs which are of interest to you (e.g. MCAT, LSAT, GRE or required courses).
- Take the appropriate professional and graduate school entrance exams in the Spring or register for next Fall exams.
- Maintain a soild GPA.
- Identify faculty and others who may be able to provide solid references for you.
- Speak with Career Services about participating in mock interviews.
- Visit Career Services and/or attend (S2) which will help you uncover your interests and skills, match them to your major, help prepare your resume and start providing you with tools and resources that all college students should know to be successful now and in the future. A Career Advisor will offer you the support and connection you need to launch your Life After Lawrence NOW!
- Contiune to update your resume and LUworks profile.
- Participate in Mock Interviews with a career advisor, visiting alumni and/or business representatives hosted by Career Services
- Explore off-campus study options, such as the London Center, Associated Colleges of the Midwest, and IES Abroad, as a way to gain experience in your major. Many programs include research, language immersion, volunteer and internship components which help build your resume. For more information regarding application deadlines, contact the off-campus programs coordinator.
- Look into gap year and other alternative post-graduate options like the Peace Corps, AmeriCorps VISTA, Green Corps, etc., to ensure you meet applicable application deadlines.
- Attend Internships 102 for more information about securing an internship or job in your field of interest for this summer.
- After attending Internships 102, schedule a meeting with the internship coordinator to further target your search or to discuss next steps.
- Use Voyager to search for alumni connections in order to explore your options for Life After Lawrence NOW.