Once you have a date and time determined for your program, the next step is reserving the room:
What are your needs of the physical space?
Determine before what your needs of the room space will be for your event: A projector screen? Speakers? Catering? Having a band play? When you do reserve your space, you will be asked to check off these needs on the form online, but your organization must get in contact with the proper people to make those extras happen (such as catering and AV tech support). Bands or music events are best suited for Esch-Hurvis in the Warch Campus Center where sound and light systems are built into the room.
What size audience do you expect?
For most events, we want the largest number of people possible to attend, but part of planning is being realistic in your organizations’ goals for events. If you are bringing in a well-known speaker that many different students on campus might try to attend, an auditorium setting might be appropriate. If you are doing a workshop that you only expect 10-20 people to attend, there are smaller rooms across campus to choose from.
Timing of the Reservation
Reserve rooms in advance! Most room moderators (the people who approve your reservations) need at least a two week notice for reserving rooms in their buildings. If you plan to have tech needs or catering, you will want to reserve the room at least 3 weeks in advance. Once you put in a reservation, it is not guarantee that you have that space until you receive an approval email.
Making a Reservation
- Go to the Lawrence Room Reservation System and sign in with your LU username and password. This is to ensure that students and student groups do not get charged for use of rooms and that we give priority to Lawrence faculty, students and staff.
- Pick the Building, Room, Day and Time start and end. When you search for that room on that day at that time, it will show you whether the room is available or not.
- If it is available, you can then click “Select”.
- If it is unavailable, you will have to choose another time, day, or room to try and reserve.
- When you “Select”, the next page will ask to reaffirm the date, time start and time end. You may also need to put in a “security start/end” – this is when you would like the room opened beforehand (if needed) to set up, and when you would want it locked up after clean-up. Hit “Next” when done.
- After hitting “Next”, the following page will ask for the specifics of the program, and how you want the program to be displayed on the LU calendar including title, description, what category it falls under, who is hosting the event, etc. If you want the event advertised on the LU calendar, be sure to check that box! Hit “Submit”!
- After submitting, your event’s info will be summarized. Ensure it is correct – then hit “Submit” – the event should then pop up under your “My Requests” tab.
- Wait for your approval email and continue planning your event – contact Catering services, Tech services, etc as needed.