A division of Lawrence University in Appleton, Wisconsin, the Lawrence Academy of Music has been in existence since 1874. Its colorful history includes being a preparatory school in the early 1900s before a public high school was available in Appleton. Established as a nonprofit community music school, the Academy became a certified member of the National Guild of Community Schools of the Arts in 1983. The Preparatory Program became the Arts Academy in 1990 and in 2002 the name was changed to Lawrence Academy of Music to better define its role as a music education provider.
Lawrence Academy of Music currently serves almost 1500 students annually from throughout Northeast Wisconsin and Upper Michigan.