The Institute of Paper Chemistry was established in 1929 as a partnership between Lawrence College (now Lawrence University) and the local paper industry. It was a graduate institute for training paper chemists, organized by Lawrence but financed by the paper industry. The Institute had its own Board of Trustees and operated its own budget. Lawrence awarded Master of Science and Doctor of Philosophy degrees to graduates of the Institute. The Institute transferred its operations from Appleton to Atlanta, Georgia in 1989, where it currently exists as the Renewable Bioproducts Institute at Georgia Tech.
Materials available for research in the LU Archives: Institute of Paper Chemistry Records
Books about the Institute of Paper Chemistry in the Seeley G. Mudd Library's circulating collection
Renewable Bioproducts Institute at Georgia Tech
Georgia Tech's Institutional Repository contains digitized papers from the IPC, IPST, and Renewable Bioproducts Institute