These instructions are intended to help Lawrence University users move their existing Lawrence email to a personal email account using Microsoft Outlook 2013 on a campus WINDOWS computer. In the instructions, we have used Gmail as an example.
NOTE: using OWA-Webmail to move emails to Gmail will not work you MUST use Microsoft Outlook 2013 from the ITC, Seeley G. Mudd Library room 214.
NOTE: To do the following you must be ON CAMPUS, on a WINDOWS computer with Outlook 2013.
- Create a Gmail account;
- If you already have a Gmail account and wish to use it, skip to step 2. Otherwise, create a Gmail account at Gmail account.
- Set Gmail is IMAP
- Follow the instructions to enable IMAP and disable POP on you Gmail account Gmail Support account.
Add Gmail to Outlook
- Go to Start > All Programs > Microsoft Office 2013, from the drop down click on Microsoft Office Outlook 2013.
- After your Outlook has loaded your profile Go to File > Account Settings then Account Settings (again)
- Select the Email tab and click New.
- The Add New Email Account window will open click Next.
- Complete the necessary fields for your Gmail information (name, personal email address and password) click Next
- If you are prompted to log back into your account with an IMAP pop up, do the following.
- Check your existing Gmail account
- Locate an email that states Review Blocked sign-in attempt. Click on the Allowing access to less secure apps.
- Allow less secure apps: ON
- Go back to your Outlook and it should refresh automatically
- Click Finished
- Back in your outlook INBOX, you should see a second mailbox with your Gmail INBOX
- To move emails from your Lawrence account to your personal account, drag and drop folders that contain emails from the Lawrence INBOX to your GMAIL account or drag and drop individual emails from the Lawrence INBOX to your personal account.
NOTE: DO NOT MOVE your Lawrence INBOX folder over to Gmail, move only individual emails or folders.