STEP 1: Wireless Connection
- On the Desktop (home screen)
- Tap on the Wireless Icon on the bottom right hand of screen.
- Select LUfacstaffpersonal and then click Connect.
Note you will not have full internet access until you complete the rest of the process below.
STEP 2: Update or Install Security & Antivirus Software
All window computers must have current antivirus software installed in order to register on the Lawrence University Network. Download any updates available for your antivirus software. (Note: Although you will not have access to the majority of the Internet until your computer is registered, you WILL have access to both antivirus updates and the Lawrence University home page.)
If you currently do not have antivirus software, or if your subscription has expired, Lawrence University has suggestions for (free) anti-virus software based on your operating system. You can find these at:http://www.lawrence.edu/info/offices/technology_services/faqs/security-and-anti-virus
Note: Lawrence does not provide antivirus software for personally owned computers.
STEP 3: Update Your Operating System
All computers must have a current operating system in order to register on the LU Network. Please follow these steps to ensure your operating system has the latest updates. (Note: Although you will not have access to the majority of the Internet until your computer is registered, you WILL have access to operating system updates.)
- From Desktop go to the Search field.
- Type Windows Update in search field.
- Select Check for Updates in found search results.
- The Update & Security window will open. Select CHECK FOR UPDATES (button) and install all available updates.
- Go to Start – All Programs – Windows Update.
- In the left pane, click Check for updates and wait while Windows searches for updates.
- If any updates are found, click Install Updates. If you are prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password and provide confirmation.
- Repeat 1-3 until you are advised that no more updates are available.
Note: If the computer needs to restart to finish installing updates, you must restart. Then follow these steps continuously until you receive a message stating "No Updates are Available" then continue.
STEP 4: Network Registration
- Open an internet Browser such as Edge, Firefox, Chrome.
- A security page should appear (if it doesn't try going to a website such as cnn.com). If using Internet Explorer or Edge, tap Continue to this Website (Not Recommended). If using Firefox/Chrome, tap ADD an Exception. Tap Get certificate. Tap Confirm Security exception.
- A Lawrence University Network Device Registration page will appear. After you have read the "Acceptable Use Policy" click Agree to continue.
- Select the link "Faculty-Staff personal device registration".
- Enter your Username and Password, Select appropriate device for the type of connection and click Download.
- A download window will appear. Click Run
- A Windows User Account Control prompt will appear. Click Yes.
Your computer will be scanned for required software by the Bradford agent. Once the scan is complete, a success/failure page will appear. If the failure page appears, read the message carefully. It will tell you either your Operating System has more updates or your antivirus has more updates.Note: If your computer did NOT come with the Microsoft Office, use the link provided below to download Microsoft Office Suite.
- Turn on the built-in wireless adapter/WiFi by clicking the WiFi icon in the upper right corner of the screen and selecting Turn WiFi On.
- Then select the LUfacstaffpersonal network from the same WiFi credential menu.
- Authenticate by entering your Lawrence network username and password. Click OK.
- Verify the certificate and click Continue. You will likely be prompted to enter your computer admin password. This is not your Lawrence account.
- Your wireless connection should now be complete.
Note: If not connecting automatically to the wireless network, turn off the WiFi and then turn it back on.
STEP 2: Update Your Operating System
All computers must have current operating system software in order to register on the LU Network. Follow these steps to ensure your operating system has the latest software updates. (Note: Although you will not have access to most of the Internet until your computer is registered, you WILL have access to operating system updates.)
- Click Apple – Software Update. Wait while Apple checks for updates for your computer.
- Run available updates.
STEP 3: Update or Install Antivirus SoftwareTechnology Services strongly encourages anti-virus software on Apple computers. If you have security & Antivirus software installed you will need to download any updates available for this software.
(Note: Although you will not have access to the majority of the Internet until your computer is registered, you WILL have access to antivirus updates.)
If you currently do not have antivirus software, or if your subscription has expired, you will need to either install one of the free options or purchase a new subscription. For more information about available options and instructions see the Security and Anti-virus software page.
STEP 4 Network Registration
- Open an Internet Browser (Safari is preferred).
- A security page should appear. (if it doesn't appear navigate to an external site such as cnn.com. THis should force the page to appear.) Click Continue to this Website or Yes to proceed.
- A Lawrence University Network introduction page will appear. Read and click Continue.
- Select the last link, "Personal device registration for Lawrence University faculty and staff".
- A Lawrence Terms and Agreement page will appear. Read and click I Agree.
- Select Wireless Laptop from the drop down menu. Enter your Username and Password and click Continue.
- A download window will appear. Choose to save the file to your Desktop and click Save.
- From your desktop, locate and run the Bradford Dissolvable Agent file.
- If a message appears, select Continue.
- Your computer will be scanned for required software by Bradford. Once the scan is complete, either a success page or a failure page will appear. If the failure page appears, click on the link to see how to resolve the failure. If the success page appears, you have successfully completed registration. Reboot your computer.
Note: If your computer is found to be interfering with the LU Network or spreading viruses, it will be disconnected from the network until the problem is resolved. Contact the Helpdesk for assistance.
STEP 5: Connecting to Network Spaces
- In the Finder, select the Go menu and Connect to Server.
- In the address field, type one of the following:
- Personal Network space AND Department share: smb://elda.lawrence.edu/your department acronym/
- Campus Share: smb://curtis.lawrence.edu/campus_share
- Click the plus button. Then click Connect.
- Enter your LU Network username and password at the prompt.
- Click your own user folder from the list and select File – Add to Sidebar.
- To reconnect in the future, click your user folder in the Sidebar.
Please remember to close files and eject the network drives before putting your computer to sleep or you may corrupt your files.
Note - you must repeat the below step for each mobile device you wish to use on the LUwireless wireless network.
- From your personal device, turn on the Wireless connection. You should be presented with a list of wireless networks in your area. Every device is different on exactly how to turn on the wireless connection. On Apple iOS devices go to the Settings application.
- From the list of available networks select the LUFACSTAFFPERSONAL network.
- Once connected to the LUwireless network you will be prompted for a username and password. Enter your network/email username and password. Depending on your device you may also get a certificate warning message. You must accept this certificate to continue.
- On an Android-based device make sure to select PEAP for the EAP method and MSCHAPV2 for the phase 2 authentication.
- Once the connection to the LUwireless network has been made, start an internet browser to complete the registration process. This will likely be Safari on the Apple iOS devices or Internet Explorer on Windows devices.
- In the browser go to a non-Lawrence website such as cnn.com. Select Continue at the security prompt. Instead of getting the desired site you will be redirected to the Lawrence University Network Registration page. Click Continue at the bottom of the software piracy page.
- Phones or other personal devices will not require anti-virus software. Click Continue at the bottom of the registration page.
- On the Select Options page click on the last link, "Personal device registration for Lawrence faculty and staff".
- The registration and security agent application screen will appear. Select your device type (either Smartphone or Other) from the drop down list box. Enter your network/email username and password and click the Continue button to register.
- Depending on your device, you may or may not get a successfully registered message. This message will NOT appear for some devices.
- You must reboot your device. You should then be able to access the internet on your personal device using the LUwireless wireless network.
Note: Remember that Lawrence currently has wireless service in academic buildings and in residence halls. We do not yet have coverage outdoors or in some administrative buildings.
If your computer did NOT come with the Microsoft Office, use the link provided below to find out how to use and download Office 365 for free.
To download the free Word, Excel, PowerPoint and other Microsoft Office software do the following. Note, you need to do this from the computer you want to Microsoft office installed on.
- On you device go to: https://webmail.lawrence.edu
- Click on Office 365
- Login to Office 365 with your email@example.com (i.e., firstname.lastname@example.org) and your password.
- Click the Install Office apps (top, right corner).
- Select the version of Office you need.
- Follow the on screen prompts to install the software.