University Accounting Services (UAS)
Effective October 1, 2017, UAS is Lawrence's loan servicer for the Federal Perkins Loan. Our transition is currently underway and will be fully operational by October 16, 2017.
- Website: www.uasconnect.com
- Phone: 844-870-8701
Perkins Loan Overview
The Federal Perkins Loan program is administered jointly by the Financial Aid Office and the Student Accounts Office. Funds from this program, when available, are loaned to the neediest students, as determined by the needs analysis. If a student is eligible for a Perkins Loan, the loan amount they are eligible for will appear on their award notification. Interest is at a fixed rate of 5%. Repayment and interest are deferred until nine months after a student graduates or falls below half-time enrollment. University Accounting Services (UAS) is the contracted Federal Perkins Loan servicer for Lawrence.
- Interest Rate
- 5% (fixed)
- Interest does not accrue when the student is enrolled in school at least half-time or during the 9 month grace period
- Interest is charged when the loan is in Repayment
- Loan Origination Fee
- Grace Period
- 9 months
- The Grace Period begins at the time of graduation or when the student is no longer enrolled at least half-time (9 or more units)
- Repayment begins after the completion of the 9-month Grace Period
- Loan Servicer
- The loan servicer for Lawrence students is University Accounting Services (UAS). This is the company that you will make payments to when repaying your Perkins Loan.
- UAS website: www.uasconnect.com
Follow these directions to complete the Perkins Loan Entrance Counseling:
- Click here (this will redirect you to the Financial Counselor website)
- Click on "Entrance Interview"
- Click "Continue"
- Enter your Social Security Number (SSN) and Date of Birth (DOB)
- Click "Continue"
Master Promissory Note
Perkins Loan Teacher Cancellation
Federal Perkins Loan Teacher Cancellation Overview (Federal Student Aid Website)
You qualify for cancellation (discharge) of up to 100 percent of a Federal Perkins Loan if you have served full time in a public or non-profit elementary or secondary school system as a:
- teacher in a school serving students from low-income families; or
- special-education teacher, including teachers of infants, toddlers, children, or youth with disabilities; or
- teacher in the fields of mathematics, science, foreign languages, or bilingual education, or in any other field of expertise determined by a state education agency to have a shortage of qualified teachers in that state
Eligibility for teacher cancellation is based on the duties presented in an official position description, not on the position title. To receive a cancellation, you must be directly employed by the school system. There is no provision for canceling Perkins Loans for teaching in post-secondary schools.
Perkins Loan Deferment
Types of Deferment
- Rehabilitation Training
- Economic Hardship
- Cancellation Service
In order to qualify for a deferment, you must meet the specific eligibility requirements for that deferment type.
To apply for a deferment, login in to your account at UAS to obtain the correct form. Complete the form in detail and be sure to include any required authorization or documentation listed in the eligibility requirements section.
Send the completed form to UAS for processing. UAS will process your request promptly. You will receive notification explaining whether your deferment was applied, rejected, or returned to you for additional information.