Lawrence Organists addendum
Dan O’Connor ’13 and Alexis VanZalen ’13 have enjoyed tremendous success on the organ during their Lawrence careers.
Among O’Connor’s accomplishments:
- Named a “Rising Star” by the American Guild of Organists (AGO) after winning the 2009 Regional Competition for Young Organists in Albuquerque, N.M.
- Performed at the 2010 AGO national convention in Washington, D.C.
- Won the 2010 Young Artists Organ Competition in Minneapolis, Minn.
- Won the 2011 National Federation of Music Clubs Collegiate Competition in Wisconsin and later placed second at the national competition.
- Co-winner of the 2012 Lawrence Symphony Orchestra Concerto Competition. His performance of Stephen Paulus' “Concerto for Organ, Timpani, Percussion and Strings” was featured in April on the nationally syndicated public radio program “Pipedreams.”
- Awarded the $3,000 Ruth & Paul Manz Organ Scholarship, sponsored by the Lutheran School of Theology in Chicago and Mount Olive Lutheran Church in Minneapolis.
VanZalen’s accolades include:
- First-prize winner of 2012 Student Scholarship Competition in Minneapolis, sponsored by the Twin Cities Chapter of the AGO and the Schubert Club of St. Paul.
- Second prize in the 2011 Wisconsin National Federation of Music Club’s Student/Collegiate Competition.
- Placed second in the 2013 AGO Regional Competitions for Young Organists in Milwaukee and the 2011 competition in Wichita, Kan.