LU-Sponsored Student International Travel
Who Must Follow This Procedure
If you are a faculty or staff member who will lead or accompany students on an international trip - OR - administer a Lawrence award, scholarship, or fund used to sponsor student international travel, you must follow the procedure below.
What To Do
Three months before departure
Complete the registration for student international travel (Word) and email it to the Associate Dean of the Faculty (Bob Williams) and the Director of Off-Campus Programs (Laura Zuege). Before submitting the form, do the following:
- Check the State Department for travel warnings and the CDC and WHO for travel advisories. Lawrence does not sponsor student travel to countries with travel warnings.
- Send a list of possible participants to the Dean of Students (Curt Lauderdale), who will tell you if there are any students who are not allowed to participate.
Six weeks before departure
The group leader (faculty or staff) should collect all forms, verify they are complete, and submit them together. Students traveling alone with LU funds should have forms reviewed by their project advisor and submit them together.
Email the following to the Director of Off-Campus Programs (Laura Zuege):
- One CISI enrollment form (Excel) for travel insurance. Include all participants plus faculty/staff information and an account number for the faculty/staff insurance ($41 per month). If this form has not been received one month before departure, the students may not travel with Lawrence sponsorship or support.
Campus mail or hand deliver the following to the Director of Off-Campus Programs (Laura Zuege):
- A signed waiver (PDF) from every student participant. Any student who does not sign a waiver may not travel with Lawrence sponsorship or support.
Email the following in a compressed (zip) file to the Associate Dean of the Faculty (Bob Williams) and the Dean of Students (Curt Lauderdale):
- A final roster of participants and leaders. Include contact information for the group leader.
- An itinerary (Word) for the group and for any participant(s) whose travel will differ.
- A personal information form (Word) for each participant (students and faculty/staff). Forms with confidential information can be submitted in a sealed envelope.
- A scan of the passport photo page for each participant (students and faculty/staff).
Two weeks before departure
You may also want to:
- Register on the State Department website by completing the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP). (Note: This registry is for American citizens only. International students should register with their own embassies.)
- Apply for a cash advance through the Associate Dean of the Faculty if you will be paying expenses for the group during the trip.