AUDITIONS FOR PLACEMENT IN JAZZ BIG BANDS AND JAZZ SMALL GROUPS
Each auditionee is required to sign up for an individual audition time with their studio instructor.
Auditions will be held on Monday, September 12, 2016 from 3:10 pm - 5:00 pm. Let them know at your audition if you prefer to play in:
Both a large jazz ensemble/big band AND a jazz small group/combo
Large jazz ensemble/big band only
Jazz small group/combo only
LAWRENCE UNIVERSITY JAZZ ENSEMBLE 3:10-4:20 M&W and 4:40-5:50 Thursdays
LAWRENCE JAZZ BAND 3:10-4:30 on Tuesdays and Thursdays.
LAWRENCE JAZZ WORKSHOP 3:10-4:20 Mondays & Wednesdays (no audition required, all instruments welcome)
JAZZ SMALL GROUPS/COMBOS meet twice weekly for one hour TBA.
Participation in these groups is a 3-term commitment unless you are studying off campus or graduating early. Below are the specific audition requirements for each instrument. Please contact the studio professor listed below if you have additional questions.
SAXOPHONES: José Encarnación
1. Play a solo transcription of your choice
2. Sight Reading
3. Improvise on a Bb Blues
4. Play a short excerpt on any doubling instrument (s) you play. (flute, clarinet, etc.) Clarinet excerpt.pdf, Flute excerpt.pdf
TRUMPETS: John Daniel
1. Moten Swing is required at all auditions "Moten Swing".pdf
2. One transcription to be chosen individually. Students may play their own transcription, find one on their own, or play any one of the following transcriptions provided. "Four" Miles Davis.pdf, "Autumn Leaves" Chet Baker.pdf , "West End Blues" Louis Armstrong.pdf or "Struttin' With Some Barbecue" Louis Armstrong.pdf It is essential to listen to the recordings of these pieces.
3. Improvising on Bb Blues is strongly encouraged but not required. It is a requirement for anyone wishing to participate in the combo program.
TROMBONES: Tim Albright Marty Erickson
PIANO: Patty Darling
1. Play a standard (your choice)-can be improvised or a transcription.
3. Improvise over a Bb Blues (optional)
GUITAR: Steve Peplin
1. Play a standard (your choice) and comp and improvise on Bb Blues
2. Sight-read (melodic and harmonic)
3. Play a transcribed solo (your choice) along with recording
BASS: Mark Urness
1. Walk and solo on Bb Blues
3. Optional: play a transcribed solo along with the original recording
DRUMS: Dane Richeson
1. Demonstrate various styles that you are familiar with (i.e. bebop, samba, baiao, mambo, songo, bembe, funk in odd meter)
2. Prepare a transcription or improvise a short solo in any style.