- Completion of a minimum of 216 units. The following music courses are used in the computation of the degree grade-point average but are excluded from the total of 216 units required for the degree: MURP 201, 202, 203, 301, 302 and MUTH 161, 162, 171, 172.
- Of the 216 units required to complete the degree, a student must present:
The additional 12 units may be selected from any department.
- a minimum of 144 units in music
- a minimum of 60 units in courses other than music
- no more than 18 units in ESL courses
- no more than 12 units from academic internships
- Completion of 12 units of Freshman Studies, normally taken during the fall and winter terms of the first year
- Completion of the general education requirements:
- 6 units selected from courses designated as writing-intensive
- International diversity. One of the following:
Note: While some music courses may satisfy general education requirements, a minimum of 60 units in courses other than music is required for the degree.
- 6 units selected from courses designated as either emphasizing global and comparative perspectives on the world or focusing on areas outside Europe and the United States
- 12 units selected from courses numbered below 200 in a single language other than English. The language competency requirement may be satisfied in other ways described under Academic Procedures and Regulations.
- Participation for one term in a Lawrence or affiliated off-campus study program held outside the United States
- Completion of music core requirements:
- Music theory
- MUTH 151, 161, 171 or MUTH 201, 211, 221
- MUTH 152, 162, 172 or MUTH 202, 212, 222
- MUTH 251, 261, and 271
- MUTH 252, 262, and 272
- MUTH 301, 311, and 321
- MUCO 211 and 212
- 12 units selected from courses in musicology numbered 400 or above
- Keyboard skills: MURP 201, 202, 203 or MURP 301, 302
- Applied music individual instruction as specified under requirements for the major and areas of emphasis
- Ensemble study: a minimum of 12 units. Students are required to participate in an ensemble every term in which they are attending classes on the Appleton campus. Requirements for specific types of ensemble study (MUEN) are specified under requirements for majors and areas of emphasis.
- Completion of a major in music—performance, music education, theory, composition, or student-designed—including all course and non-course requirements, such as recitals, qualifying examinations, etc.
- An academic record that meets the following standards:
- A 2.000 grade-point average in all Lawrence courses
- A 2.000 grade-point average in the music major (all music courses and non-music courses required for the major) unless otherwise specified under the major requirements
- Completion of required terms and units in residence as specified by the residence requirements.
Completion of a minor or interdisciplinary area is optional. If a minor is declared, a 2.000 grade-point average in the minor (all courses taken in the minor department, program, or area and any other courses required for the minor) is required to complete the minor and have it recorded on the academic record.
Stipulations pertaining to the general education requirements
A single course may be used to satisfy both requirement a. (writing intensive) and b. (international diversity) above. Credits granted pursuant to university policy for advanced placement or for transfer work may be used to fulfill general education requirements with the exception that coursework from other institutions may not be used to fulfill requirement a. (writing intensive).