Please note: The information displayed here is current as of Saturday, October 21, 2017, but the official Course Catalog should be used for all official planning.
2017-2018 Course Catalog
Required for the philosophy major
- PHIL 150 or 420 (majors are strongly encouraged to satisfy this requirement early in their careers)
- At least two core courses in the history of philosophy (from PHIL 200, 210, 220, 227, 230, 275)
- One course in epistemology (from PHIL 300, 305, 330, 332, 405)
- One course in metaphysics (from PHIL 310, 340, 400, 410)
- One course in ethics (from PHIL 280, 320, 325, 347, 350, 360, 365, 370, 375, 380, 385, 430, 440)
- PHIL 600
- Four additional six-unit courses in philosophy, or a second major and two additional six-unit courses in philosophy.
- Two of these additional courses may be numbered 149 or below.
- Philosophy majors who do not prefer a second major may, in consultation with their advisor and subject to the approval of the Department of Philosophy, substitute selected courses not offered by the department for no more than two of the four additional courses.
- One Philosophy Dimensions of Diversity course (this may also satisfy one of the above requirements)
Required for the philosophy minor
- Six six-unit courses in philosophy
- At least two courses in the history of philosophy (PHIL 200, 210, 220, 227, 230, 275)
- At least three courses outside the history of philosophy numbered 250 or above
- C average in the minor
Students pursuing a minor in philosophy are encouraged to choose a member of the philosophy department as an informal advisor.