I&E Interdisciplinary Area requirements
Over the past six years, a group of Lawrence faculty members have developed several courses and course modules in innovation and entrepreneurship. By now, several hundred Lawrence students have taken those courses. The Lawrence faculty has now voted to create a formal academic program in innovation and entrepreneurship: the Interdisciplinary Area in I&E. Students from all majors with an interest in innovation or entrepreneurship are invited to explore the new IA.
To complete the interdisciplinary area, students will need to take three core courses and two electives. A final requirement is a 3-unit practicum that can be satisfied in a number of ways, including participation in the Rabbit Gallery, Greyfell Theatre, KidsGive, or some other student venture, or completing an entrepreneurial senior experience. All three core courses will be offered in 2014-15:
- In Pursuit of Innovation (I-E 100, cross-listed as ECON 211; note that the only prerequisite is sophomore standing)
- Financial Literacy (fall, winter; I-E 110, cross-listed as ECON 170)
- Entrepreneurial Ventures (I-E 300, cross-listed as ECON 425)
Several of I&E courses that can be used as electives will also be offered in 2014-15:
- The Entrepreneurial Musician (MUEP 280, cross-listed as I-E 280)
- Social Entrepreneurship (GOVT 248, cross-listed as I-E 248)
- Start-Up Theatre (THAR 255, cross-listed as I-E 255)
- Topics in Finance (ECON 295)
- Industrial Organization (ECON 400)
In addition, several courses that are directly relevant for innovation and entrepreneurship or that have a significant I&E component will count as electives in the interdisciplinary area. In 2014-15 these will include
Other electives include
- Topics in Education: Educating for Creativity (EDST 450, offered Spring 2014)
- Optics (PHYS 340, offered Spring 2014)
- Apple, Google, Facebook (RLST 245, ongoing in Winter 2014)
There will likely be more courses on the list of electives, and that list will be finalized by the time class schedules are set for 2014-15.
If you are interested in innovation or entrepreneurship and you are considering completing the IA, the best entry points are In Pursuit of Innovation, The Entrepreneurial Musician, or Social Entrepreneurship.
If you have any questions about the new IA, feel free to contact the Program Chair, Adam Galambos.